Icon | Ivory Carving
A dictionary of art terms and definitions that begin with the letter I.
- An artistic visual representation or symbol of anything considered holy and divine, such as God, saints, or deities. An icon could be a painting (including a relief painting), sculpture, or mosaic. Also refers to a little picture on a computer screen that represents the various functions of the computer. Generally, the user clicks on an icon to start an application or function.
- To create designs and pictures for books, magazines, or other print or electronic media to clarify or explain the text or show what happens in a story.
- A visualization such as drawing, painting, photograph, or other work of art that stresses the subject more than form. The aim of an Illustration is to elucidate or decorate a story, poem, or piece of textual information (such as a newspaper article) by providing a visual representation of something described in the text.
- Illustration Board
- Heavy paper or card appropriate for pencil, pen, watercolor, collage, etc.
- A graphic artist who specializes in enhancing the written text by providing a visual representation that corresponds to the content of the associated text. Also refers to a computer illustration program developed by Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Implied Line
- A line in a work that is subtlety perceived by the viewer but has no physical form; the overall flow of one line into another in a work, with continuation from one area to the next, suggested by their common direction and juxtaposition. Click for more information about implied lines.
- A loose, spontaneous style of painting that originated in France about 1870. The impressionist style of painting is characterized chiefly by concentration on the general impression produced by a scene or object and the use of unmixed primary colors and small strokes to simulate actual reflected light. Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro were considered leaders of this artistic movement. Click for more information about impressionism art.
- India Ink
- A simple black or colored ink, made from a black pigment consisting of lampblack and glue, used for drawing and outlining, especially when inking comic books and comic strips.
- Industrial Design
- The design of the mass-produced products of our everyday environment, from sinks and furniture to computers.
- Ivory Carving
- The carving or shaping of ivory into sculptures, ornaments, and decorative articles using animal tusks and teeth, notably from elephants, whales, and walruses, by using sharp cutting tools, either mechanically or manually.
Art Glossary Links
Contributing to The Art Dictionary
This art dictionary is a work in progress. New terms and definitions are added on a regular basis. If you know of an art term and definition that isn’t already listed in it, but you believe it should be, send it to us and we’ll consider adding it. We’ll let you know if we do. Thanks!
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.
UPDATED: 13 March 2023