Space the final frontier….
Long before man first ventured out into outer space, artists were turning their paintbrushes and imaginations towards worlds beyond the bounds of Earth. Gazing up at the night sky, they could only imagine what otherworldly landscapes must be like. At that moment in time, pretty much all of the heavenly spheres were seen as merely star-like objects. However, with the advent of the telescope, people were able to observe the vastness of space and see planets as actual worlds and not stars. This was the first time a human was able to see moons orbiting a planet, asteroids, gases and other space particles. As they began to draw and paint what they saw, they became the first space artists. Ever since that time, artists have been drawing other worlds. As telescopes got better, so did their space paintings.
Space art (also known as “astronomical art”) is a genre of art that strives to depict the wonders of the cosmic universe like no other. It has only been in the past few decades that we have actually begun to learn what other planets and moons really look like, thanks to the pioneering efforts of scientists and astronauts. This art form has an ever growing number of fans who buy outer space paintings for the walls of their homes, offices, and businesses.
Why space paintings are such a favorite genre of art:
- Space paintings easily fit in with most décor, whether contemporary, traditional or eclectic.
- This genre of art fits in just about any room of your home or office. It lends itself to many options. Just use your imagination.
- Fans love the vibrant colors, such as the bright blues, yellow, reds and orange hues. Space art lends itself well to being created with bright colors because of the stark contrasts of light and dark created by sun, moon and stars.
- It appeals to our sense of fantasy and desire for adventure. Who wouldn’t want to escape the bounds of our world and go soaring off to explore some distant alien world?
- Cosmic art affords the artist a galaxy of subject matter to paint from gamma rays to alien moons, The Pleiades to the Milky Way, and all stops in between.
- It offers individuals the ability to explore unreachable realms with the intent to bring a sense of reality to them.
- Space art brings otherworld landscapes, spacecraft and alien life from the imagination to near-reality by expanding our imagination.
- Space paintings are also great conversation starters. Family members and friends who come to your home will no doubt enjoy being swept away in the magic of your space art.
From high powered telescopes to NASA photos, astronomical artists can use a variety of art medium to construct their cosmic art, be it watercolor, oil paint, pen and ink, or graphite to mention but a few. Space art is well loved and is certainly here to stay.
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.