© Copyright 2007 – Present
Size: 18″ x 18″
Support: Gallery wrap stretched canvas
Description: A close-up depiction of the southern Magnolia Grandiflora blossom.
SOLD: This particular painting sold to a private art collector in Georgia, however, if you would like a similar one of your own, contact us. For more information on how to commission a painting: Art Commissions Info.
See Flower Paintings for more art of this genre by Teresa Bernard.
This painting is of the Magnolia Grandiflora, commonly known as the southern magnolia or bull bay. These large, showy flowers grow on trees native to East Texas, in addition to several other southern and southeastern states. The trees have large, glossy leaves and huge, fragrant white blossoms. Their sweet-smelling blossoms are considered an emblem of feminine sweetness and beauty.
Magnolias are often a favorite subject matter for many artists. They are certainly a favorite flower of mine. I was drawn to the way the light hit this Magnolia’s pedals and immediately knew I wanted to do a painting of this magnificent flower.
Some Interesting Things to Know About Magnolias
- After planting, it can sometimes take up to 10 years for a Magnolia tree to bloom.
- Magnolias bloom from April to June.
- Southern Magnolia blossoms grow between 8 and 12 inches.
- Magnolia blossoms grow at the end of the tree’s branches.
- The fragrance of the Magnolia flower has pleasant scent that resembles the smell of tropical fruit.
- The dense foliage and shallow roots make it very difficult to grow grass under its shade.
- Its root system will crack sidewalks and pavements if planted too close to them.
- Magnolia trees require plenty of space as they can grow up to 40 ft. wide and 80 ft. tall.
- Both Louisiana and Mississippi claim the Magnolia as their official state flower.
Not Finding What You Are Looking For?
Teresa is also a commission artist and has painted for fellow art collectors and enthusiasts from around the world. If you have a special painting in mind you would like Teresa to do, follow the link for more information on how to commission a painting. Or contact us for more information.
Thanks for looking!
Feel free to share this with your friends.