A glossary of art vocabulary and definitions beginning with Z.
- A 13th-century German word meaning “jagged style.” Zackenstil is used to describe a zig-zag style used in sculpture, painting, stained glass and manuscript illumination.
- A style of Japanese calligraphy and painting, done in ink. Often both calligraphy and image will be in the same piece of art.
- Zinc White
- A common white pigment, zinc white is a brilliant white synthetically derived from the metal zinc.
- A printing process that uses zinc plates instead of stones plates made from fine lithographic limestone.
- Zinnober Green
- Another name for chrome green.
- Describes forms of art and ornaments based on the shape, form or likeness of an animal.
Have a question?
If you have a question about this painting, please contact us and we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Teresa’s Insider News
Be the first to know! Sign up here to be among the first to receive sneak peeks of recently completed paintings, new announcements and other updates at the art studio.
Teresa has an insider newsletter and it’s FREE! This is her way of keeping her friends up to date by giving you sneak peeks of new paintings she completes, as well as other announcements before they are made public. Her newsletter is published every other month, so be sure to get on her mailing list. You don’t want to miss a thing!
Art Glossary Links
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.
UPDATED: 22 March 2021