A glossary of art terms and definitions that begin with the letter Z.
- Z-Pattern Layout
- The path the human eye travels when they read — left to right, top to bottom. First, the eyes scan from the top left to the top right, then down and to the left side, and last, back across to the right again. When the viewers’ eyes move in this pattern, it forms an imaginary “Z” shape.
- A German word from the 13th-century that means “jagged style.” Zackenstil is a zig-zag style used in sculpture, painting, stained glass, and manuscript illumination.
- A style of Japanese calligraphy and painting, done in ink. Often both calligraphy and image will be in the same piece of art.
- A self-help, meditative art therapy practice involving the creation of structured doodle designs through drawing various repetitive patterns. This art form is intended to enhance relaxation, inner focus, and build self-confidence.
- Zinc White
- A common white pigment. Zinc white is a brilliant white synthetically derived from the metal zinc.
- A printing process that uses zinc plates instead of stone plates made from fine lithographic limestone.
- Zinnober Green
- Another name for chrome green.
- Describes forms of art and ornaments based on the shape, form, or likeness of an animal.
Have a question?
If you have a question about this painting, please contact us, and we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Art Glossary Links
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.
UPDATED: 08 November 2021