A glossary of art vocabulary and definitions beginning with I.
- An artistic visual representation or symbol of anything considered holy and divine, such as God, saints or deities. An icon could be a painting (including relief painting), sculpture, or mosaic. Also refers to a little picture on a computer screen that represents the various functions of the computer. Generally the user clicks on an icon to start an application or function.
- To create designs and pictures for books, magazines, or other print or electronic media to make clear or explain the text or show what happens in a story.
- A visualization such as drawing, painting, photograph or other work of art that stresses subject more than form. The aim of an Illustration is to elucidate or decorate a story, poem or piece of textual information (such as a newspaper article) by providing a visual representation of something described in the text.
- Illustration Board
- Heavy paper or card appropriate as a support for pencil, pen, watercolor, collage, etc.
- A graphic artist who specializes in enhancing written text by providing a visual representation that corresponds to the content of the associated text. Also refers to a computer illustration program developed by Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Implied Line
- A line in a work that is subtlety perceived by the viewer but has no physical form; the overall flow of one line into another in a work, with continuation from one area to the next suggested by their common direction and/or juxtaposition. Click for more information about implied lines.
- A loose spontaneous style of painting that originated in France about 1870. The impressionist style of painting is characterized chiefly by concentration on the general impression produced by a scene or object and the use of unmixed primary colors and small strokes to simulate actual reflected light. Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro were considered leaders of this artistic movement. Click for more information about impressionism art.
- India Ink
- A simple black or colored ink, made from a black pigment consisting of lampblack and glue, used for drawing and outlining, especially when inking comic books and comic strips.
- Industrial Design
- The design of the mass-produced products of our everyday environment, from sinks and furniture to computers.
- Ivory Carving
- The carving or shaping of ivory into sculptures, ornaments, and decorative articles using animal tusks and teeth, notably from elephants, whales and walruses, by using sharp cutting tools, either mechanically or manually.
Have a question?
If you have a question about this painting, please contact us and we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Teresa’s Insider News
Be the first to know! Sign up here to be among the first to receive sneak peeks of recently completed paintings, new announcements and other updates at the art studio.
Teresa has an insider newsletter and it’s FREE! This is her way of keeping her friends up to date by giving you sneak peeks of new paintings she completes, as well as other announcements before they are made public. Her newsletter is published every other month, so be sure to get on her mailing list. You don’t want to miss a thing!
Art Glossary Links
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.
UPDATED: 25 March 2021