A glossary of art vocabulary and definitions beginning with N.
- Naïve Art
- Art created by untrained artists. It is characterized by simplicity and a lack of the elements or qualities found in the art of formally trained artists. Click for more information about naïve art.
- Naples Yellow
- The oldest synthetic yellow hue of a muted reddish yellow to a bright light yellow pigment. Known to have been created by the Ancient Egyptians. Often used in paintings during the 1700-1850’s.
- Narrative Art
- A type of visual art that tells a story or represents elements of a story. An example of this genre would be Leonardo da Vinci’s “The Last Supper” or illustrations often found in children’s books.
- Negative Space
- The unoccupied or empty space left after the positive shapes have been laid down by the artist; however, because these areas have boundaries, they also function as shapes in the total design.
- Neutral Color
- Colors of very low saturation, approaching grays. Neutral colors include blacks, whites, grays and browns.
- New Media Art
- A genre of art that encompasses artworks created with new media technologies, including digital art, computer graphics, computer animation, virtual art, Internet art, interactive art, video games, computer robotics, 3D printing, and art as biotechnology.
- Non-Western Art
- See “Tribal Art“.
- A work of art (most often a painting or sculpture) depicting an individual without clothing or with very little clothing.
- Numbered Prints
- A term used in printmaking to indicate the number of editions struck from one plate. The number is generally placed over the size of the edition. For example 24/100 shows the unique number of that impression and the total edition size. Modern artists produce only limited editions of their works, normally signed by the artist in pencil, and numbered.
Have a question?
If you have a question about this painting, please contact us and we’ll be happy to answer any of your questions.
Teresa’s Insider News
Be the first to know! Sign up here to be among the first to receive sneak peeks of recently completed paintings, new announcements and other updates at the art studio.
Teresa has an insider newsletter and it’s FREE! This is her way of keeping her friends up to date by giving you sneak peeks of new paintings she completes, as well as other announcements before they are made public. Her newsletter is published every other month, so be sure to get on her mailing list. You don’t want to miss a thing!
Art Glossary Links
Thanks for reading this!
Feel free to share this with your friends.
UPDATED: 22 April 2021